Crash Landing... Still Running
Stage two
Featured
Blog On
Music
Reading in Progress

Just Read
The Discomfort Zone, Jonathan Franzen
For the Relief of Unbearable Urges, Nathan Englander
Bad Dirt, Annie Proulx
Brown, Richard Rodriguez

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 2.5 License.
Random Tidbit
I have found my way dreadfully, regrettably, and unfortunately back into academic hell. (11/05/07)
Recent Pieces

September 18, 2005

Rest in Peace

It was one of those moments you hear creepy stories about, but I never expected it to happen to me, or for it to hit so close to home. I was just logging on to see if anyone left me a message, or if there was anyone I could say goodnight to. That's all I wanted. I was ready to end my day, and I wanted it to go smoothly. Besides I have to wake up at 8am to teach my rowdy 7th graders.

There was one message waiting, but nothing I ever expected nor hoped to receive. It said he was killed. Sent to Katrina to help in the relief efforts, to provide medical assistance to those in need, and he was killed. Killed in a car accident in New Orleans.

I couldn't believe it. I blinked, I stared at the screen for a few moments. Was it just a joke?! No, no, no, not a joke. He's dead, and his parents felt I needed to know... the message concluded.

I hardly knew him, but we talked a couple times and he seemed nice. I have good memories, I thought I'd get to talk to him again. Online some people come and go, but I never thought it would ever come to such a tragic conclusion.

Somehow I finally realized that it was true and that it was final. Life in it's fleeting fickleness came to and end in such snap moment. And I get a message online letting me know that I won't ever get to talk to him again.

Confused, shocked, I suddenly started to cry uncontrollably. What do you mean I'll never get to talk to him again, never get to say goodbye? Maybe you're smiling down upon me benevolently now telling me that somehow you're OK, and we'll all be OK?

Rest in peace, friend. Rest in peace. We will miss you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger