Crash Landing... Still Running
Stage two
Featured
Blog On
Music
Reading in Progress

Just Read
The Discomfort Zone, Jonathan Franzen
For the Relief of Unbearable Urges, Nathan Englander
Bad Dirt, Annie Proulx
Brown, Richard Rodriguez

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 2.5 License.
Random Tidbit
I have found my way dreadfully, regrettably, and unfortunately back into academic hell. (11/05/07)
Recent Pieces

April 21, 2006

Itches, Sleep, Theses

This week has been a wreck. Spring is really here and so are all the awful pollens and ragweeds and who knows what. My sleep deprivation and all the allergens in the air have been conspiring to shut me down. What started out as a mild itch, and slight bluish tired-bags, under my eyes escalated into redness, a burning itch, and swelling on the bottom of one of my eye lids.

Sleep has been tougher to come by, too. A tortured soul doesn't sleep too well, plus I've had this nasty statistics exam on my mind, which I dealt with today. Last night was awful, and things didn't get better when two loud alarm clocks across the hall went off at 4 A.M. followed by 5 trips to the bathroom, each involving 2 instances of loud door slamming. Grr.

My thesis is also going nowhere. I hope that now that I've survived my last college midterm (ever!!!) I'll have a little more time to work on it, but that's doubtful. Some of my friends have already turned in their final drafts and I hardly have a rough first one. It's going to be a grueling final stretch, but that's OK. It's a very befitting ending: almost everything I've done here in the last few years has involved forcing myself to do something with no motivation running up against a deadline. My newest distraction/excuse is that I feel like no one but myself gives a damn about my project. And it's very disconcerting since this is the one project I truly designed myself and that I truly believe in. I don't even have an advisor who's cheering me or even mildly enthusiastic about this. He gives me enough feedback, decent feedback and that's it.

OK, well enough ranting. I will try to go to sleep. I'd be so happy if only this darn eye-itch would go away. Ahhh please! Why does such a nice season have to be so painful?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're going to make it. I have faith in you. And I'd like to see what you turn out in the way of the thesis. Now, get to work. Finishing this, gets you one step closer to getting out of there.

April 24, 2006 7:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep in there, good luck to you

April 26, 2006 9:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger