Crash Landing... Still Running
Stage two
Featured
Blog On
Music
Reading in Progress

Just Read
The Discomfort Zone, Jonathan Franzen
For the Relief of Unbearable Urges, Nathan Englander
Bad Dirt, Annie Proulx
Brown, Richard Rodriguez

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 2.5 License.
Random Tidbit
I have found my way dreadfully, regrettably, and unfortunately back into academic hell. (11/05/07)
Recent Pieces

April 11, 2006

Sleep Deprivation

Wow, something just isn't right. I spotted dark blue-black bags under my eyes this evening and thought I'd crash into bed, into dreamland tonight. Instead, it's past 4:30 A.M. and I can't fall asleep for the life of me. My brain aches from sleep deprivation, but I can't get it to shut down and let my exhausted self be. Hmph. Something about this insomnia thing is going to have to give soon, I just can't go on like this, but I don't know what the problem is. When I was home for spring break I slept like a baby, it was amazing.

I had no weekend. It was awful, even though I had some fun. I worked on Friday afternoon and then attended the Bat Mitzvah of one of my seventh graders. I couldn't not go, she is the one girl who respects me. She really wanted me to come, and when I showed up she hugged me twice. I think it really made a difference for her that I showed up, and I felt incredible to be able to make someone so happy.

The whole graduation fiasco degenerated into a little crisis on Friday night when I finally got a response from my college Dean. He indicated that I need to talk to a Dean higher up about my "plans to accelerate" my graduation. I e-mailed him back pleading that my plans to accelerate have been finalized and I thought he had approved them, to which this Dean replied that I still need to see a higher up.

I completely freaked out, and let anxiety consume me over the weekend. Mostly this resulted in a very restless Friday night in which I futilely tried to fall asleep until 5 A.M. I didn't understand why we need to be discussing my graduation plans now in April less than two months before the actual ceremony, only a month before the end of finals. I began to confront the terror of not being allowed to graduate, and thought to myself that I simply could not bear spending another semester here after all the hell I've been through. The panic attack was so bad that I resolved to go see a counselor if this happened again soon--so far it hasn't.

Saturday morning my job at the physics department needed me to help with a conference they were having on campus. So the only day I usually get to sleep to my satisfaction I had to wake up at 9 A.M. Luckily one of my friends/co-student workers called me around 9:20 A.M. that morning to ask if I wanted to walk to the conference together. If she hadn't called I don't think I would have woken up. Here's a kicker, the boss got up and started to thank a bunch of people for helping with the conference. Of course, the students workers didn't even get the slightest shout out. We were disgruntled but applauded anyway. I was feeling cranky, sleepy, and delusional so I started singing the uncensored lyrics to Khia's "My Neck, My Back." My fellow student co-worker got a real rise out of that. We had a good laugh.

After the conference I got back into bed and crashed for an hour or two. Saturday night I went out to a birthday party. It was a good friend of mine, actually my neighbor from last year. I hadn't seen her in a while and really wanted to celebrate her 21st with her, so I went. I made her a mix tape which we played at the party and the whole floor was jumpin' jumpin'. That was nice, but I didn't get back to my room till about oohhh 1 A.M.ish. Didn't get to sleep till an hour or two later...

Then Sunday morning I had to wake up at 8 A.M. for my other job teaching the 7th graders. It was pretty rowdy and I was sooo damn exhausted to control them. One of the students brought in a digital camera and started video recording the class. Ugh, it'll probably end up on the news or something, "rowdy kids, irresponsible teacher." After work I had lunch, and then went to my room and passed out for almost 3 hours.

I was really cranky after having done so much this weekend. Did I mention that I'm not a morning person at all? I can't wake up that early, especially not on weekends! To make matters worse I had all this work dangling over my head. Most notably, I had a 12 page government paper due today. I finished it tonight, but just barely. It was such torture--now that's a government topic worth writing about.

Welp, I do think that was the last obnoxious paper in my whole college career though. What an unglamorous ending. Remaining workload in my college career: 1 statistics exam (next week), senior project/thesis (due sometimes in early May), 2 final exams (2nd-3rd week in May), too many lab reports and problem sets to count (weekly).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger