Crash Landing... Still Running
Stage two
Featured
Blog On
Music
Reading in Progress

Just Read
The Discomfort Zone, Jonathan Franzen
For the Relief of Unbearable Urges, Nathan Englander
Bad Dirt, Annie Proulx
Brown, Richard Rodriguez

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 2.5 License.
Random Tidbit
I have found my way dreadfully, regrettably, and unfortunately back into academic hell. (11/05/07)
Recent Pieces

October 30, 2005

Pre-enroll

Pre-enrollment for spring courses begins at 6:30 a.m. tomorrow morning. When I was a freshman and didn't know better, I made the effort to wake up as soon as the online queues opened. Of course, the morning would go by with me maybe locking in two classes if I were lucky. And of course, by the end of the week I somehow always got the classes that I wanted. I wasn't the only big loser for waking up early when I didn't have to. Everyone in the freshman class did due to the fierce competition over classroom space and the fact that the faculty and upperclassmen managed to convince us all that getting up early just to waste our time was absolutely necessary.

It infuriated me, so I wrote a few angry e-mails and vowed never to be that sucker again.

Sophomore year I never woke up early to pre-enroll for classes and I always managed to lock in what I wanted. Well, "wanted" being kind of a relative term... As the semesters went by I progressively lost my interest in picking classes. I used to leaf through the course rosters like a hungry wolf with an appetite for anything I could take.

This time, I'm on the verge of enrollment period and I can't even say I have much of an idea of what I'll be taking. I don't really care. With any luck this will be my last semester of academic slavery. Then freedom. I'm looking forward to 4 credits of "independent study" to write my "thesis." I was thinking of subjecting myself to a mind-numbing statistics course--figured no one is this phony real world would consider me for much without any background in stats. Then I need one more class in order to snag all the credits I need to graduate and maintain my obligatory full-time status. It's really that one 4-credit class that's holding me up. I wish I could wing it, but all the "simple" stuff seems so boring and all the advanced stuff seems so boring and like way too much work, though I assume the simple stuff will be tons of work too because that's how they do it around here.

Someone please just fast-forward my life to the end of may 2006? Thank you.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny. So, has your advisor gotten on his job so that you can get outta there? I foresee a graduation and I'm thinking it just might be worth my time to make an appearance there. Feels like one of my own kids graduating.

November 03, 2005 11:08 AM

 
Blogger Amir said...

Wow what an honor! Well, I just hope I make ya proud, LOL.

On the advisor front, it's been THREE weeks now, with a personal meeting with him once every week and I'm upset to announce that he still hasn't filled out his part of my graduation forms. There's always some ridiculous excuse. I'll explain in my next post.

November 03, 2005 11:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger