Crash Landing... Still Running
Stage two
Featured
Blog On
Music
Reading in Progress

Just Read
The Discomfort Zone, Jonathan Franzen
For the Relief of Unbearable Urges, Nathan Englander
Bad Dirt, Annie Proulx
Brown, Richard Rodriguez

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 2.5 License.
Random Tidbit
I have found my way dreadfully, regrettably, and unfortunately back into academic hell. (11/05/07)
Recent Pieces

February 19, 2006

Cents on the weekends

If you're perceptive, you'll see them on the weekends digging through the trashbins, hoping to be the first to collect the empty beer bottles and cans that accumulated during the previous day and night's worth of partying. They're the ones we see on a daily basis strolling through our halls. They clean up our ivy-league shit and piss stains off the toilets, each and every one. They empty out trashcans with the vomit of our irresponsible indulgence, day to day.

I spent two years in oblivion, thinking if I ever saw one that they were just paid to come in on the weekends and do a little service, emptying our recycling and all. In all honesty, I can't even say I specifically remember noticing at all. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that the guy who cleans our floor told me on his way out, "save your bottles for me from over the weekend, and hey, tell your friends!"

I stared and listened, incredulous but attempting a polite interest as he continued. "Yeah, last weekend I came in, picked up your cans and bottles, turned 'em in and got $22. Five cents a bottle, that's a whole lot of them." I blinked, processing. He does what?!? "But you gotta save them for me or else the other service staff will come in and grab 'em before me. If I could get that again it would be awesome. 22 bucks man, that bought me a good night out with the guys and a couple beers. Only way I could get away from the wife. Man, she drives me nuts sometimes!"

After that I started to notice. One weekend I saw the round, short guy who always wears that red hat and has a beard that looks like he hasn't shaved in years carrying a bag almost his height and width full of our recyclables. I also noticed the skinny, emaciated lady with limp, sparse hair run through the hall on our floor with a few bottles she gleaned from our trash room one Saturday. Then, a weekend or two later, I saw another lady dressed in her service uniform standing outside in the frigid northeastern cold digging through a smelly metallic dumpster, with a few bags plopped beside her feet.

Does anyone else understand that these people are not simply doing their job? The Monday through Friday uniform they don on the weekends betrays the true reason they crawl through campus on the days they're not paid to come in. They come hoping to supplement what their Monday through Friday jobs at an institution that houses tomorrow's CEOs, lawyers, surgeons and diplomats fails to provide them. They clean our nasty shit for a living and on weekends they dig through our shit to find enough bottles and cans to trade in for a dollar or two. What we consume, toss, and deem useless makes up their only chance to live a little, treat themselves just a little. That's right... Is that right?

We don't mind them emptying out our trash on Sundays, we just figure it's what they're paid to do.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's witnessing scenes such as this that really opens our eyes to the hard lives some people live. There are those with the power to change that, but they won't. That would mean they had to cart off their own trash, clean their own toilets, etc.

In all the laws that have been passed to invade our privacy and invade other countries unlawfully, isn't it funny none have been put in place to up the wages of people like this?

February 19, 2006 8:41 PM

 
Blogger sarah marie said...

Thanks for reminding us of people like these, Amir. You tell the stories so well that I think it really touches the people who read here. Thank you.

February 20, 2006 6:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger