Crash Landing... Still Running
Stage two
Featured
Blog On
Music
Reading in Progress

Just Read
The Discomfort Zone, Jonathan Franzen
For the Relief of Unbearable Urges, Nathan Englander
Bad Dirt, Annie Proulx
Brown, Richard Rodriguez

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 2.5 License.
Random Tidbit
I have found my way dreadfully, regrettably, and unfortunately back into academic hell. (11/05/07)
Recent Pieces

January 21, 2006

Always a Nightmare

After writing my last post, I slipped into something of a narcoleptic episode. In the midst of sitting up from my bed and wiping those cobwebs off my eyes I decided that with more than a week at home, I ought to continue to take it easy and have fun, even if that means being a bum.

In truth, that period of proto-awakening consisted of a string of 3 or 4 days in which I had plans back to back. It was great to get out a little bit, see some friends, etc. But all that running around left me exhausted, and in the end the allure of the couch and the fetal warmth and coziness of my bed at home were just too good to resist.

I'm supposed to fly eastward back to school tomorrow, although whether or not that will really happen remains to be seen. Tonight I had a little bit of foresight to check up on my flights. I really just needed to check at what time I'm leaving. Instead, I was greeted with a horrid "cancelled" note on my itinerary. CANCELLED?!? Both of my flights were supposedly cancelled, and I had no idea why the hell that happened.

I ended up trying to call USair, and I spent like half an hour on their automated customer service and got hung up on once before I actually got through to a live human being. Speaking to a human didn't help much. The woman sounded out of it, and then she basically told me that I had cancelled my tickets and that this was all my fault. Wow, what?!? I was infuriated but even more in complete shock. I had bought that ticket and I had in hard copy that I have two flights to get back tomorrow. What in the world?!?!

The customer service rep then proceeded to tell me that she can book me on another flight but that all the flights for tomorrow are full. Full they may be but I bought a freaking spot on those flights a few months ago! I'm in a flabbergasted fury so I just repeat to her that I never cancelled any flights and that I should already be on those flights. She retorts with a, "Oh, and and in order to do this rebooking you'll have to pay a fee of $100."

I asked her not to touch my tickets and said that I would call back. Good thing I was still home because after hanging up I ran straight to Mommy and explained to her the complete idiotic mess that I was in. Apparently angry Moms have some sort of magical powers, because my mom called back and got that same unhelpful Customer Rep. Mom was firm and assertive; with a few sentences she had cast her spell. It was USair that messed up my flight, she insisted. You will fix this! She demanded of the Rep. And hell to the NO you're not charging us another $100 for your own screw ups, she finished.

Apparently the Customer Rep got me back on my two flights free of charge, but I have still have no idea what's going on. And why did she have to cause me so much grief in the first place? And why did we have to waste so much time arguing and going crazy thinking I might be stuck at home and forced to buy a new ticket? The Customer Rep said we should see the changes online, but here at 4:34 a.m. I still see no changes and I'm supposed to be airborne in a few hours.

What another shitty way to start the Spring semester. This sounds all too much like deja vu from a terrible start to the Spring semester last year, which also, incidentally, involved airline trouble. Hmph. I'm so angry and bitter! The only thing keeping me going is the thought that I'll be graduating this Spring before getting perennially screwed over by airlines at the the start of every Spring semester can become a tradition.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lawd, you poor thing. This does seems to be a perennial event. LOL Okay, so you didn't think it was that funny, but I promise, when you read this a couple of years from now, you'll chuckle. A little. LOL

And there's nothing like having moms around to clean something up. We don't play when it comes to screwing over those we love. Let's hope the remainder of the semester is incident-free. Is that asking too much? LOL

January 23, 2006 9:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger