Crash Landing... Still Running
Stage two
Featured
Blog On
Music
Reading in Progress

Just Read
The Discomfort Zone, Jonathan Franzen
For the Relief of Unbearable Urges, Nathan Englander
Bad Dirt, Annie Proulx
Brown, Richard Rodriguez

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 2.5 License.
Random Tidbit
I have found my way dreadfully, regrettably, and unfortunately back into academic hell. (11/05/07)
Recent Pieces

December 07, 2005

Feeling Like Shit

My attempt to go to bed around 8 p.m. tonight (because I feel like crap) has been effectively thwarted. Around 10 p.m. I woke up to the sound of my neighbors chatting and laughing obnoxiously outside of my door. Thanks a lot friends.

After lingering awake in my bed for 10 minutes, I decided not to fight it anymore and to get up. I go to the bathroom to take care of some business and as I head back to my room I notice that my loud neighbors had vanished from sight. Good, I tell myself, at least some peace and quiet. Before I manage to open my door all the way, my two neighbors jump at me from inside my room and scream Boooo Bawahhh!!! I recoil and then realize, oh hell no, I wasn't having it.

As they break out into an uncontrollable hysterical laughter, apparently proud at their accomplishment of scaring me, I roll my eyes and snap. No, no. I feel like SHIT. You guys woke me up, and I don't need this. No. As I walked into my room and they walked out of my room, it dawned on at least one of them that maybe they were messing with the wrong person at the wrong time.

Moving on. I've been feeling kind of lightheaded and woozy since the weekend, but when I woke up today it hit me with a vengeance. Aching throat, hurting ear, weak body, a prime way to feel when I need to be ultra-productive. Great.

I've been work-study working for the last three days straight, so I haven't been able to get much done. At the same time, I managed to completely finish one paper. Three to go and one more final. Five days.

I e-mailed a paper draft that I spent the last two days on to a professor who was encouraging us to e-mail them to him. What an awful idea. He responded in a jiffy, apparently wasting no time tearing my paper to shreds. The organization sucks, and he doesn't see an argument. How can I make someone see when he refuses? Well, I don't have the luxury to spend the next five days revising my paper to "perfection" according to his taste. Anyone want to guess what professor this is? He's already made several cameo appearances on this blog.

Onto another professor who pissed me off today: my advisor who doubles as the supervisor for my independent study. He e-mailed me today exhorting me to let him know what my plans are for my final paper. What's that supposed to mean? Can't a boy just do his thing?! I was honest, and told him that I'm crunched for time, juggling 4 papers and a final along with my work schedule at two jobs, and so I haven't had a chance to start his paper. That being said, I took some time to reflect on the paper and e-mailed him an outline.

Like the previous professor, he wasted very little time with his response and this one wasn't so encouraging either. He told me I'd be LOONEY (yes, caps included) to do all that work in this short stretch of time and told me to take an incomplete on my transcript for that class. Excuse me?! I nearly killed myself reading a book PER WEEK for that class and wrote 6 reading responses ranging from 4-8 pages each and he wants to discount all of that work because I'm having some trouble with my final schedule?

What's so ironic is that we spent the last few weeks reading books by all these social scientists who researched the pressures and experiences of this generation of college students and found that we're spread really thin between work, school, and other commitments like clubs, sports, family... As a result the amount of time we students can devote to school today is completely odds with the demands of college professors. So much for that project in empathy.

My God...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead of you. But I believe you can pull it off. You've been doing it for how long now? Yup, I've got faith in you. Keep us abreast of your progress.

December 08, 2005 12:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger