Crash Landing... Still Running
Stage two
Featured
Blog On
Music
Reading in Progress

Just Read
The Discomfort Zone, Jonathan Franzen
For the Relief of Unbearable Urges, Nathan Englander
Bad Dirt, Annie Proulx
Brown, Richard Rodriguez

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 2.5 License.
Random Tidbit
I have found my way dreadfully, regrettably, and unfortunately back into academic hell. (11/05/07)
Recent Pieces

November 04, 2005

Can I get a hand-clap?

The last few nights I've been submerged in ice-cold showers, emerging out of them with my teeth clanking. Aside from really pissing me off, it's made me realize that I need to change my showering schedule if I expect any hope of experiencing warm water again. I'm devastated that this might mean an end to my 2 a.m. showers; but hey, since showering is the last thing I do before bed, this change might mean an earlier bedtime for me, more sleep?

My graduation situation hasn't improved at all. I've met with my faculty advisor weekly for the past three weeks, and he's always begun our meetings with "no progress on the graduation application," with a cheesy grin. Something about that grin makes me wonder if he's just screwing me over on purpose to get himself off over the power he has in this process.

The basic situation is that I submitted my part of the application as soon as I found out it was available. The faculty advisor then has to complete another application to verify everything. One thing he has to indicate is what classes counted toward my major, which seems dumb because the administration tracks that anyway, whatever. The thing is, I got into this program back in the day that waived me from nearly every graduation requirement and subsequently I don't have a major. So my advisor is playing it all dumb, like "doh I dunno what to do about that part of the application."

Part of me thinks he's just being ridiculous, because if I'm waived from all the junk then it should be extremely easy to fill out the form: indicate the program and write "EXEMPT." But my advisor insists on waiting for the administration to figure out how they want him to indicate it. Geez. I'm getting a little impatient, because 3 weeks is getting to be a long time, and I really don't think this little hurdle is worth the wait. Actually, I really don't think this even is a hurdle. But he's waiting. He even suggested that if he doesn't hear back he might not even submit it by the deadline, so I'm getting a little jittery because really the deadline for all this stuff is in a week.

Whatever. If there's one thing I've learned these past couple years, it's that it's just really not even worth getting caught up in endless bureaucracies. They'll do whatever they want to do, most things usually work out OK. Meh.

On a lighter note, things have been getting crazy in my dorm lately. My friend and neighbor suddenly took a liking to the Kanye West song, "Gold digga" and since she knows I'm the only one who can appreciate that kind of stuff to the most remote extent, she insisted that we learn to rap the song. I have to admit I have no flow, and so trying to mimic Kanye is way out of my league, so I feel a bit ridiculous. But she's printed out the lyrics for both of us and we've been practicing for the past few nights. It's outrageous fun. I sing the "get down, girl, go 'head get down," part and she replies "on your knees" as we both work our booties down to the ground. Wow, I know. I know...

We usually follow that song up by dancing to Jessica Simpson's remake of "These Boots are Made for Walking," which is also outrageous. Nobody on the floor seems to particularly like the song, "ew I hate that remake" is the average comment I receive, but I just can't resist the temptation that song lends to busting out a hot line-dance. So there's a lot of stepping around and do-si-do-ing, but then when Jessica breaks it down, we do it double. All I can say is that you have to be there to see the hilarity of what goes down when we hear, "Can I get a handle clap, for the way I work my back... Drop it, push your tush... Yeeeehaaaaaaw!!!" Let's say that we bring the words to life. There's a maneuver for every sung image, LOL.

If anything, these will be the moments I will miss from college. I'm just glad that now I have a few of them to carry on with me in my memories.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol@ as I imagine you singing, "get down, girl, go 'head get down." Hilarious! I bet it's even funnier watching you dance to it. LOL Okay, I need oxygen, this is too much for me. ROTFL

November 04, 2005 1:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger