Crash Landing... Still Running
Stage two
Featured
Blog On
Music
Reading in Progress

Just Read
The Discomfort Zone, Jonathan Franzen
For the Relief of Unbearable Urges, Nathan Englander
Bad Dirt, Annie Proulx
Brown, Richard Rodriguez

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 2.5 License.
Random Tidbit
I have found my way dreadfully, regrettably, and unfortunately back into academic hell. (11/05/07)
Recent Pieces

February 01, 2006

Hump Day Slump

11:15 a.m. I wake up in a sticky, confused sweat, although feeling bewilderingly refreshed--something that doesn't happen on weekday mornings. I slept through my alarm clock, and as I was rolling out of bed my first class was already beginning.

Damn, I think, jumping out of bed, hoping to toss on some decent clothes, snag my backpack and run up to class. I quickly abandoned the idea, statistics just doesn't entice me enough to make that manic effort. Besides, that era when I would try to salvage the rare days my body kept me in bed past my alarm now seem long gone.

I slow down and call my mom, who better to talk to first thing in the morning. Then it's toothbrushing and a little breakfast at the dining hall. I savored the slow pace, the lack of pressure and hurry. But I had to cut breakfast short. Even though I figured I'd just skip the whole class rather than waltz in sweaty and short of breath halfway though class, I still needed to make an appearance. Our first problem set was due today in class, and 10% slashes in grades per day were guaranteed to all those who handed in work late.

I took my time walking to class, made it there about 2 minutes before the session was over and waited until I saw my classmates packing up to leave. As the first student left the classroom I snuck in. Feeling beyond shady, I made a dash for the teacher's table where all the homework assignments were stacked and added mine to the pile. Luckily the professor had his back towards me as another student was busy kissing his ass, so the whole maneuver was quick, mostly unnoticed, and just shameless.

Where has my ambition gone? Who is this person with declining motivation? I walk around campus like a bum, slow steps whenever possible, the clunky hood of my oversized winter jacket falling over my eyes, earphones in my ear, and I tune 'em all out. I can always find ways to make the time go by, boredom is no problem. I'm just so bored with my life these days, so what am I to do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger