Crash Landing... Still Running
Stage two
Featured
Blog On
Music
Reading in Progress

Just Read
The Discomfort Zone, Jonathan Franzen
For the Relief of Unbearable Urges, Nathan Englander
Bad Dirt, Annie Proulx
Brown, Richard Rodriguez

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 2.5 License.
Random Tidbit
I have found my way dreadfully, regrettably, and unfortunately back into academic hell. (11/05/07)
Recent Pieces

April 29, 2006

The Letdown

Well, it looks like the unamusing, ironic joke was on me. Not that I was starting to get big-headed from a pleasant social calendar of events for today, but I was at least looking forward to a day of some non-academic fun. Not much fun was to be found.

First of all, the friend who I was supposed to meet in the afternoon never showed up. I got out of work half an hour early just to meet her at the time we scheduled. I stood in this building lobby for a few minutes (mind you a little late already) and she never showed up. I called. She gasped, "Oh my god I completely forgot," and it was a bit awkward but I just kind of laughed it off. She said she'd come, and almost half an hour later she showed up. Oh well, that aside, we had a very nice time catching up.

Then I was supposed to go to allllll these parties. Hmph. A semi-mainstream band preformed in my dorm, and I kind of napped through that/couldn't find anyone to go with me. Then I went with a friend to this house party that I was somewhat forced to attend (well, it can be nice to get that much attention). We got there a little after it was supposed to start and, of course, very few people were there. Hung around for about half-an-hour to forty-five minutes. A lot of people started coming. Air got hot and humid and unbreathable. People started getting drunk. Strangers started to direct weird stares at sober-me and sober-my-friend. Door was blocked by heaps of people... Tried to make a discrete exit, but ruffled a few too many feathers on the way out.

Then we were supposed to meet up with friends in our dorm to go to a party at a frat house right across the street. It was supposed to be an easy way to end the night. This frat is mostly friendly and (compared to others) somewhat low-key. Instead, as we head over there in the nose-diving night temperatures, I find out that they were not actually having a party tonight (I have no clue how this slipped past us). Instead, my other dorm-mates got a ride to another frat that was at least a half-hour walk away. We could not bear walking in the cold that far (all uphill, too). We could not find a ride. Friend got ballsy and started asking strangers on the street for a ride. Of course no one agreed. We ended up arriving back to the dorm before midnight, and so the night ended.

Boo hoo. I'm not one who gets drunk and needs to go crazy to have a good time, but for once I was looking forward to going out and dancing a little. That would have been fun. I can't believe I just missed three opportunities in one night. I feel very pathetic.

The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow. If I wake up at a decent hour I may walk around campus with my camera and snap some pictures. I want to create a photoalbum entitled "A Geography of Misery" to document where I've spent three years of my life. If I do, it'll probably be up in June...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my.

April 29, 2006 9:38 AM

 
Blogger Amir said...

Kit, welcome back!!!

April 29, 2006 6:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks. i totally get to chill and work and such till i decide i want to finish my last quarter of school sometime next year. going to make some money first so i don't go into too much debt.

April 30, 2006 4:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, this whole explanation is hilarious and, believe me, one day you'll feel the same--just maybe not this year. LOL Too bad "A Geography of Misery" can't be your thesis. Too funny!!!!

May 01, 2006 3:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kit-- Wow, only one quarter left? That sounds mega-fabulous! Definitely take it easy for a while, and I hear you on the debt. I'm doing exit interviews for my loans and the thought of lots and lots of monthly payments makes me queasy.

Yolanda--I might be "miserable" but I still know how to laugh at myself! In fact, I'm starting to find that amusing myself is one of the few ways I can remain sane... It's a bit weird though as I start to remind myself of my father who is an expert and laughing hysterically at his own corny jokes.
LOL

I like "A Geography of Misery," and I think I was even considering that as my thesis title for a while... but I came up with a better one, (I think). ;-)

May 02, 2006 1:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger