Crash Landing... Still Running
Stage two
Featured
Blog On
Music
Reading in Progress

Just Read
The Discomfort Zone, Jonathan Franzen
For the Relief of Unbearable Urges, Nathan Englander
Bad Dirt, Annie Proulx
Brown, Richard Rodriguez

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 2.5 License.
Random Tidbit
I have found my way dreadfully, regrettably, and unfortunately back into academic hell. (11/05/07)
Recent Pieces

May 15, 2006

Get Out, Leave

The hell of last week is over, and now I have to deal with the hell of the next two weeks. I turned in my thesis on Friday and also checked one final exam of my list. I'm pretty happy with the thesis. I was a bit nervous since my advisor didn't confirm that he received it or anything like that. The grade was due today. To my relief, I heard from him today.

I have a nasty situation going on with housing. While everyone is supposed to vacate the dorms by this Saturday, seniors are granted an exception and are allowed to stay through graduation. Since I am graduating, I assumed that like any other senior I would have the right to stay in my room until graduation. Wow, how ignorant of me, apparently.

I started getting all this move-out information about two weeks ago, at which point I e-mailed my floor advisor just to confirm that I can stay like the other seniors. She said yeah, no problem. Then, about a week later, after a conversation with another senior on my floor, I found out that he received something in the mail confirming his status and that he can stay in the dorm. Since I didn't, I wasted no time in e-mailing the Assistant Dean in my dorm. He promptly responded saying, yeah no problem I can stay in my room through the 29th of May.

Then I get two e-mails today, one from the Assistant Dean, another from the secretary who takes care of all the administrative stuff in the dorm. The Assistant Dean wrote an apologetic e-mail, the secretary's e-mail was rather accusatory, "you should have told us earlier."

Well, excuse me. Like every other fucking senior in this university I applied to graduate in November when I was supposed to. I was notified by the registrar on multiple occasions over the last couple months that I indeed have senior status. But I should have notified her earlier, huh? No other senior had to notify her but me. Is that how it is?

As my workload slowly vanishes and I turn my attention to my last final (this Thursday) and to chasing after a few professors for letters of recommendations, I was looking forward to staying in my room as everyone else leaves. Of course, I am going to be very sad to see some of my good friends leave the dorm. At the same time, though, I was rather excited to see certain people disappear from my life: the loud girl down the hall (gone, check), my neighbor with the boyfriend/fiance who visits every night (leaving Wed.).

I guess now the whole joke's on me, again. Not only is this whole "mess" my fault, according to the secretary, but now I most likely won't be able to stay in my room. Not only will I have to move out of my room, they're saying I'll likely have to move out of my dorm completely. Lord knows what's going to happen. I'm so sick of all this crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. That's all this school ever gave me--CRAP. Maybe I should sue for emotional distress.

Now, highlights from a condensed flashback on this three-year crap-athon:
Can't get language exemption despite being a native speaker of another language (exemption received after fighting and taking a stupid two-day test), can't get credits transferred from classes I took at another large, legitimate, State University (got credits transfered after two years of fighting), can't graduate early b/c whatever series of lame ass excuses (I shouldn't speak too soon, but I think I might prove them wrong on this one, too), status isn't updated after I apply to graduate, don't receive information about graduation, no tickets for guests to the graduation ceremony (ammended), no tickets for convacation (ammended), being kicked out of my room before graduation.

Oh, and they say these are the "best four years of your life."

Crap.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is OMG. This whole experience has been horrible, and I feel like I've lived some of it with you. Here's to hoping that everything that is to follow is petty compared to this.

May 16, 2006 12:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger