Crash Landing... Still Running
Stage two
Featured
Blog On
Music
Reading in Progress

Just Read
The Discomfort Zone, Jonathan Franzen
For the Relief of Unbearable Urges, Nathan Englander
Bad Dirt, Annie Proulx
Brown, Richard Rodriguez

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 2.5 License.
Random Tidbit
I have found my way dreadfully, regrettably, and unfortunately back into academic hell. (11/05/07)
Recent Pieces

August 24, 2006

Month of Discontent

I've been enjoying almost every moment at home since I graduated. It's been relaxing, refreshing, rejuvenating, whatever you want to call it. But then the war broke out between Israel and Lebanon, and although that did almost nothing to change my summer, it introduced an element of distress. I found myself worried for a friend who was stuck in Beirut, and just as worried for my family members living in the northern towns of Israel that came under daily katyusha bombardment and others who were drafted for the war.

Because of the war, I finally snapped out of my semi-conscious drowsy state. I still slept 9 to 11 hours a night, but now instead of reading, spending time in the garden, cooking, and watching random TV shows, I began to spend most of my days glued in front of the TV flipping between all the 24-hour news channels. When the TV news began to repeat itself, I would rush upstairs and read as many news and opinion pieces about the war as I could.

At times, I felt like this war took my liberal values and threw them out the window. I grieved for every life lost on both sides, but I grew appalled at the world's wishy-washy, spineless reaction--often eager to condemn, and gawk, but much too slow to do anything to stop the harsh reality on the ground. I became further disenchanted with the media when I learned about the Reuters scandal and the doctoring of photos from Lebanon. Suddenly I felt that urge to speak out and publish my two cents, and as tempted as I was to start using my blog as a political soapbox as many people now do, I couldn't bring myself to do that. I remember, from my environmental days, what it means to speak out and get entangled in public debates. I remember the hatred and threats and accusations that start flying a dime a dozen once a person dares to speak out. From the comfort of my summer/year-off haven of low stress, I couldn't find the gusto to get involved in this. And I wouldn't feel right to blend deeply political views in a blog that to date has been so personal.

Today I'm leaving for London for two weeks. I'll spend one week alone, and the other with my aunt who will fly there for a conference. I appreciate the privilege I have to travel the world, but my mild degree of excitement to travel to the UK wilted during the war, and took a nose-dive after the terrorist airplane bust. Of course, I'll gladly oblige to do whatever it takes in order to travel safely. But is it just me or is this global terrorism thing just making travel a little less fun than it used to be? And is it just me or do things seem to be getting worse? World, I'm afraid we might be in for the long-haul.

Stay safe.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what I hate about speaking opinions is when it is really something you feel and believe and you find a family member or friend who thinks something completely the antithesis. I often keep my mouth shut rather than have anger towards someone I love.

And travelling has lost a little of its glamour, it has responsibility and preparation now.

August 25, 2006 12:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Travel safely, my friend. Update us on your trip.

August 25, 2006 6:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger